6.18.2008

'All I want to do is graduate from high school, go to Europe, marry Christian Slater and die'



Over the years, critics and fans alike have dismissed Christian Slater as a poor man's Jack Nicholson... and while I don't necessarily disagree with that statement, I have to admit that his early film career left quite an impression on my preadolescent (i.e. oversexed) mind. His 'teen angst bullshit' resonated with the kids of my era... or at least with the hooligans that I hung around, anyway.

Thinking back, I find it kind of disturbing that I was allowed to watch films that dealt with teen suicide, murder, drugs, and sex at that age... but that's another story altogether. Below, his best films... that warped my fragile, fragile mind:

Heathers

Heathers for me has just become kind of quintessential and played out. I've watched it so many times over the years, I can pretty much quote it from memory. Something about the dark humor and subject matter just appealed to me, I suppose. I can't imagine a movie like this being made now, what with the Columbines and NIUs of today. I never watched it and wanted to blow up my own school, but that's just me. I always saw it as a biting commentary on cliques and social order among teens more than anything. Oh yeah, and Slater as the 'dark horse' Jason Dean? Kinda hot.

Gleaming the Cube

You know, I need to watch this one again. All that I can recall from this movie is skateboarding, Vietnam, and a bleached-blonde Slater. Which is also pretty hot.

Pump Up the Volume

The older I get, the more I like this one. I suppose when I was younger I thought it was a bit silly and contrived - which it is - but there's something innocent about it too, about kids rallying together, fighting the good fight. And maybe it's a bit wistful for me because back then, I thought I could change the world too.

Plus, it's totally nostalgic, because I too, was glued to the radio night after night... cause y'know, before the interwebs and downloading and all that stuff, we had to BUY albums, and TAPE songs off the radio. Damn. Now I'm showing my age.

True Romance

Kinda wish they still had phone booths because of this movie. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

But yea, this one is great. Chock full of pop culture references and homages to all the things that influenced writer Quentin Tarantino, which is why I love his films in the first place. Clarence and Alabama kinda skewed my perception of love- I blame this one, among many others, for making me yearn for Elvis weddings, matching tattoos, and rock and roll. I'm sorry, but that's fucking romantic.


Next Week: Mickey and Mallory Knox: The world's greatest love story?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found this today at work, enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0x8J1V0nCk

Ceci N'est Pas Kimmy T said...

Dude, that's so flipping rad. You think Christian Slater can still skate?

And Tony Hawk is in the movie! I totally forgot about that!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say they used a stunt skater. Just a hunch.

Anonymous said...

You forgot a few great ones... Interview With A Vampire, Kuffs, Untamed Heart, The Legend Of Billie Jean, and lets not forget his vocal talents in FernGully: The Last Rainforest. He's and Alan Rickman are also the only two good things about Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves

Rikki Lee (Closet Photography) said...

I'm stealing this for the zine.