6.25.2008

no new tale to tell.

While I pride myself on my broad and varied musical tastes, I have to admit that I have filed away a catalog of guilty pleasures. Songs or artists that I will only listen to with certain friends, or even just myself. And everyone has them, it's not unusual, but my list seems to be rather large for some reason.

But then there are those bands you can listen to now that were once guilty pleasures, but are considered hip again for irony's sake... take for example my passion for cheesy eighties hair metal. I remember a time where I had to listen to Skid Row or Motley Crue in the privacy of my home or car, windows up for fear that I might look ridiculous. But lately it seems that the trends are turning back, the twenty year theory is in effect and now the new wave nostalgia is fading into rock and roll reminiscing...

...which really makes me upset to think that I remember when those bands were first popular. But then again, I also had a rattailed, bleached jeans-wearing, Powell Peralta-loving older brother.



But then there are the bands that you simply have no excuse for liking. There's no good defense for it. The only thing that I can say is, pop music is meant to be catchy, and meant to be popular... with that being said, I still don't think I can admit to much on this blog. For fear of ridicule, partly, but more for the fact that I don't want it coming back to haunt me. Hah.



While we're on the subject too, I just came to the realization that I am one year away from "twenty six years, on my way to hell". Thanks Trent Reznor. Way to make me feel old.

...Not that listening to nine inch nails is necessarily a guilty pleasure. But I guess I feel silly because in my heyday, I was one of those nine inch nails kids. You know what I'm talking about. Now that's embarassing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha, oh kim i was there through all your embarassing fazes. I will always be ready and willing to publicly ridicule you on such things. Then again, you know all my embarassing shit. hmm