1.20.2008

What the Hell is a Rant?

I'm sorry, but Smash Lab is just a poor man's Mythbusters. I can't seem to get into it. I think they thought they could take all the explosions of Mythbusters and have an instant hit.

But really, they forgot about the hilarious chemistry between Adam and Jamie. How could you not love Adam's baritone impression of Jamie, followed by Jamie in all his walrus-like seriousness?

Smash Lab also has a girl (sorry, a woman) on the show, presumably to up the sex factor, but she doesn't hold a candle to redhead Kari. And let's face it, no one is as witty and sarcastic as Tory, or as geeky as Grant.

I'm sure Discovery was just trying to capitalize on the success of the long-running show, but really, it doesn't compare. Sure, I'm all about the explosions and the high-speed camera, the crashes and the full-scale destruction, but the show would be nothing without its hilarious hosts... I mean really, what's better than blowing up a keg, other than watching their giddy reactions?

I mean it took a while for Mythbusters to hit their stride. Remember the folklorist Heather Something-Something? Yeah, I don't either. It took some tweaking, but they didn't need to change much. Even in the earliest of episodes, we saw something awesome.

So, sorry Smash Lab. I'm sure you might have some success, but you can't hold a candle to the original.

BONUS LOLCAT! This is pretty amazing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Well, THERE'S you problem!"

Jamie is my hero, man.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the exact same thing myself when I saw a commercial for it. My immediate reaction was a "poor man's mythbusters". And another thing, the red-head Kari is superhot. No one can hold a candle to her. Remember the tattooed chick in earlier seasons, even she couldn't stand up to the hotness factor that is Kari, or at least that's what I think. Basically, I'm saying I agree with you 100%

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what smash lab is missing, IMHO, A POINT.

They are all trying to put that truck bed stuff over a house... OK NOT GOING TO WORK. Could have told ya that BEFORE the show.

Better yet, they spend the ENTIRE show on that. As soon as they did the windows I could have turned it off. In fact I didn't need to watch it at all.

My reaction to Smash lab was simple
"Should I care?!"